The Greenways Plan will be included in the city's overall Transportation Master Plan to allow for proper planning of natural areas as elements of our transportation system. The plan can help secure greenway right-of-way for future property developments and can enhance the city’s ability to secure grant funding for developing an interconnected system of trails in our community.
Vision San Marcos: A River Runs Through Us, the city's comprehensive master plan, calls for the creation and implementation of a Greenways Master Plan and describes the multi-faceted benefits of greenways in the context of several goals and objectives:
|Paul Murray highlights a portion of the pathways.|
- Transportation: Provide alternatives to the use of motor vehicles
- Public Safety: Enhance watershed protection to mitigate flood impacts
- Tourism & Economic Development: Draw visitors to the city; encourage trail-related business opportunities
- Health: Promote outdoor exercise through hiking, mountain biking, dog walking and just being outside
- Environment: Protect natural resources, enhance water quality and wildlife habitat as development happens
- Recreation: Provide connections between parks, natural areas, activity nodes and employment centers as a means to get outside in nature with family, friends and team mates
|Full page and larger versions at Nov. 9 meeting|
The Preferred Scenario Map (pictured right) in the comprehensive plan includes a framework for greenway locations throughout our community – some follow creeks and rivers, others parallel existing and planned roadways, or traverse parks and natural areas. These locations can be refined as work progresses and community input is provided on the Greenways Plan. In addition, the Greenways Plan will analyze right-of-way needs and provide trail categories and standards.
SMGA is the city’s partner in the construction and maintenance of trails in our wonderful system of parks and natural areas. We envision a system of greenways and trails that connect everyone in our community, strengthen neighborhoods and businesses, and draw visitors and new residents. Our goal is to help develop a greenways system that sets San Marcos apart from other central Texas communities. SMGA strongly believes that the Greenways Master Plan will be a key to enhancing our quality of life as San Marcos continues to grow!