Meet Colin Castro

You may have seen Colin working hard at Ringtail Ridge helping install a new bridge or improve other local natural area amenities. He is working as an intern with SMGA and the San Marcos River Foundation this semester and is a joy to work with. Get to know Colin by reading his introduction below, and be sure to say hi and thank you next time you see him!

My name is Colin Castro, and I will be graduating with a BSAS in Applied Sociology and a minor in Psychology. I am interested in the greenspaces because nature is where I spend all of my time, and it intrigues me. I am trying to form a better idea of how physical arrangements affect patterns of human interaction. I am an avid outdoorsmen. Whether I am on my mountain bike, climbing rocks, kayaking/canoeing, or just sitting alone fishing, nature has a hold on me, as well as the group of people I tend to surround myself with. I came from Humble, TX, a city on the outskirts of Houston, where what little green-spaces we had were so trashed and disrespected it was hard to appreciate them. When I got to the Hill Country I was absolutely blown away with the quantity as well as the quality of the green-spaces. I adopted a reverence for these ecosystems that will be impossible to ignore for the remainder of my days. I want to help maintain the beauty of these natural areas so that when other people make use of them they can learn to respect the land as it should be.